Customer Service: 315.853.5052

Send an email to The Burns Agency



Email us

Connect: Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Refer A Friend


Coverage Info

You may want to view our glossary for additional descriptions.

Home Insurance

Home and Private Outbuildings:
Your Residence is covered for full replacement cost provided it is insured for 80% of its replacement value, up to the limit of liability.
Private Outbuildings located on the premises are covered for 10 to 20% of the insurance on your residence.

Personal Property—Home and Away:
Personal Property is covered for 50 to 75% of the insurance on your house and a lesser amount is available off premises.  Higher limits are available.

Additional Living Expense:
Extra Living Expenses that you might incur if your home should become uninhabitable following a disaster, such as temporarily living in a motel, are usually covered for up to 30% of the limit of the insurance on your house under your Homeowners Policy.

Personal Liability:
Claims for Injuries You are covered against claims for injury or damage to the property of others for which you are legally liable.
Medical Expenses You are covered for such minor expenses arising from injuries to others on or off your premises.


Auto Insurance

Bodily Injury Liability:
Pays claims against you, including the cost of your legal defense, resulting from injuries to other persons in an automobile accident for which you are legally liable.

Property Damage:
Pays for claims for your financial loss if you are found liable for physical damages to tangible property belonging to a third party.

Optional coverage that reimburses you for damage to your vehicle resulting from overturning or from colliding with another object, including another vehicle, regardless of who is at fault.

Vanishing Deductible:

One of our companies, Utica National, offers a vanishing deductible option. For $10 per vehicle (as of 3/12) you can add this endorsement which will reduce your deductible by 11% of the final agreed loss settlement. For example: a $3,000 loss with $500 deductible would be settled with a deductible of $170. (11% of $3,000 claim =$330 subtracted from the $500 deductible) NY state law requires no less than a $100 deductible.

Comprehensive (Other-than-Collision):
Optional coverage that reimburses you for damage to your vehicle resulting from fire, theft, vandalism, collision with an animal, or falling objects.

No-Fault / Personal Injury Protection (PIP):
Coverage through which the financial losses you, your passengers, or a pedestrian sustain from an auto accident—such as medical and hospital costs and lost income—are paid by your insurance company regardless of who is at fault.

Supplementary Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist:
Uninsured motorist coverage pays for injuries sustained by you and your passengers and damage to your property caused by an uninsured motorist or a hit-and-run driver.  Underinsured motorist coverage pays when you or your passengers are injured as a result of negligence by someone with insufficient liability insurance to cover your losses. Here's a Safeco Video to help illustrate this point:


Back to Top

Business Insurance (Non-profit Insurance)

Property & Liability Options Include:

  • Business Owners—a broad grouping of coverages, pre-packaged to fit many Business Owner's needs.
  • Commercial Package—may not automatically include as many coverages as Business Owners but is more customizable.
  • Special Multi-Peril—more limited in scope of coverage than above options
  • Commercial Fire & Liability—most limited form of property/liability coverage

The main components of these Property & Liability packages are typically:

  • Building & Business Personal Property—covers your building and contents
  • Business Income Coverage—reimburses you for loss of income due to a covered loss
  • General Liability Coverage—covers you against claims resulting from your business operations, including associated defense costs

Other lines of coverage include:

  • Workers' Compensation (on the job)—medical expenses and % of lost wages
  • Disability (off the job)—% of lost wages only
  • Commercial Automobile—business use automobiles
  • Professional Liability—errors & omissions coverage for your line of work
  • Directors & Officers Liability—for non-profit and for-profit operations
  • Employment Practices Liability—discrimination and harassment coverages
  • Umbrella Liability—additional layer of liability above and beyond the general liability and automobile, possibly others.
  • Cyber Liability—this is a relatively new risk that most businesses face. It does more than the name suggests. See this video for more information
  • Fidelity & Crime—losses due to employee dishonesty, credit card forgery, computer fraud and theft, and disappearance and destruction of property
  • Fiduciary Liability—for people who manage employee benefit plans.
  • ID Fraud Expense Reimbursement—for employees or customer/member groups, covers the expenses incurred while clearing their name and re-establishing their credit
  • Kidnap & Ransom—ransom and other expenses involved in a kidnapping or extortion

Back to Top


Available Personal Insurance Coverages

  • Antique Vehicles
  • ATV
  • Boat/Yacht
  • Collector Vehicles
  • Earthquake
  • Equipment Breakdown
  • Flood
  • Identity Theft
  • Motor Home
  • Motorcycle
  • Paid Family Leave
  • Personal Watercraft
  • Pet Health Insurance
  • Snowmobile
  • Travel Trailer
  • Umbrella Liability
  • Vacation Home
  • Valuable Items:  computer equipment, cameras, jewelry, musical instruments, golf clubs, collections

Back to Top

Save Money Piggy Bank

Save Money!

Don't overpay for your insurance! We'll work closely with you to ensure you are getting the coverage you want at the best price.
More »

Learning about Insurance

Learning Center

Insurance Tips, Glossary of Terms, News, and Helpful Links.
More »


Learning about Insurance

Going to Canada?

Ask us for a Canadian ID card. "A U.S. traveler in Canada is required to carry a motor vehicle liability card, plus vehicle ownership papers. A copy of the automobile policy is recommended to be carried. And a Canadian Non-Resident Inter-provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Card is strongly recommended. U.S. travelers who do not carry a Canadian Non-Resident Inter-provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Card and are stopped by Canadian police or are in an accident while driving in Canada risk being fined or having their vehicle impounded until proof of proper coverage is obtained."